Monday, September 27, 2010

Your Song

Dedicated to T.S.

Tonight the sky is clear
And the stars blink out
Like sparkling gems
I walked outside
In the summer air
To answer you
As you called my phone
I asked you why
We haven't talked
When we've been friends
For far too long
To let it fall
And throw it away
I said that we
Would lose too much
And in reply
You said to me
All the reasons
That I'm wrong
Lame excuses,
Explanations
You laid them out
Like dominoes
Lined up neatly,
Side by side
And then
With one last final flick
You knocked all of
The dominoes down
And every thought
I've used on you
Every ounce
Of deep concern
Was stained and wrecked
To unrecognizable conditions
Then once again
You said I'm wrong
You said goodbye
And clicked the phone
As I stood there,
Shocked and surprised
With a raging ocean
Crashing inside of me
For as I told you
How I felt
My voice wavered
As I swallowed the knot
Tying up my vocal chords,
Strangling my beating heart
Then as we said goodbye
The knot untied
My heart collapsed
As tears streamed down
My naïve face;
I'm such a fool
For trusting you
I wonder if
The neighbors heard
On this clear night
As I stood outside
And sang your song
At the top of my lungs-
The song I wrote
Just for you as I
Sobbed and sobbed
For you being lost.

1 comment:

  1. I hope this isn't based on a real life experience :( If so, your friend doesn't know what she/he lost ! (:

    ReplyDelete